At the end of November I went to the American Anthropological Association Conference. I was not sure how it would go and thought maybe I was wasting my time, but It was amazing! Not only was I able to see my really great friend Ruth, but I presented my paper and got a very enthusiastic response. People seemed to really like my material. I got a lot of feedback and questions and then 2 speakers after me, I got even more questions. Afterward I met with a Professor from Tulane who was very helpful and insisted that I do my PHD. So I think I am going to. It is too late to apply this year, but I am going to next year.
I have always wanted to, but it seemed out of reach and too long and I feel too old, but I think I can do it. I also went to a section on Mothers and Anthropology (again thank you Ruth) and it was amazing. Women were talking about how they finished their education with children (while having children) and how they balance, home and family, and career. I was also worried about going back to school and getting in debt and being forced to work to pay it off, but the Anthro programs I am looking at are fully funded with a stipend so I am starting to think this is really possible. If Stephen is in school than we can switch off with the little Bear so he is not lonely and maybe this will all work.
As a side note San Fransisco was beautiful almost idyllic. Ruth and I walked to China town, I guess through China town to be more specific (we ended up at an Italian restaurant) and had dinner on Friday. We then stayed up until very late chatting. I also enjoyed the 2 nights uninterrupted sleep. It is amazing how 6 hours of good sleep feels so much better than 8 hours broken up 3 or 4 times. Speaking of which Cole still gets up at least twice a night, any advice?
5 comments:
I hate giving advise, but I do it anyway. But you have to know my advice is take it or leave, and my feelings will never be hurt if yours aren't either.... I love the book "Healthy sleep habits, Happy Child, by Marc Weisbluth (spelling?).
Hey! Sorry, I heard my computer do the "You've got conversation" thing, but had pissed off baby. How goes life? I'm glad you had fun on your trip. I totally get the wholr night sleep = new person thing.
dalton is still getting up, too. maybe they should hang out. maybe not-they're sure to hatch more ideas together on tormenting their mothers.
what a great trip! go emily!
You're blogging again!? Yeah, a dose of reality! I'm so proud of you considering a PhD, presenting at a conference, raising a kid, and sharing. I think the older graduate students are generally more appreciative and more serious students than the younger group. Charlotte just woke up--first of probably 4 wakings--gotta go!
I know this is old, and maybe I've already told you this, but we are big believers of the book Kendra suggested.
Everyone should own it.
Why have you been hiding this!?
Post a Comment