Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Long Month

I haven't been on the site for more than a month. So those of you that posted comments- thank you. It was really good to hear from all of you and I will send personal messages shortly.

The last month and a half have been really busy. We moved to be closer to Stephen's job and my students, and then about 2 weeks later, Stephen got a great job with Emory University. He started this week in the Anthropology Department and loves it, but it looks like we will move again. We only have one car (becuase I refuse to spend money on something that that immediately loses value, continues to cost you money, and is terrible for the environment) so I really want to move into the city were Cole and I can walk places. Down in Fayetteville you have to drive to get anywhere, and I have been pulled over twice in the last month trying to make it to tutoring on time. This month I was also asked to present my thesis at the American Anthropological Association so I have been revising and writing an abstract, and I started a garden for my Mom. Stephen was also called to a leadership position in our church Spanish branch, I had jury duty, and went to play that my sister Ruth wrote about my mom beating her to death so all in all a very full, exhausting month.

Now that things have settled down somewhat I have been going through boxes to get rid of things so that the next move will not be so bad. Also Cole turns one this Sunday so I will post pictures of his birthday dinner next week.

7 comments:

April Johnson said...

It's about time you got back on! I though after I finaly found you, you wound up forgetting bout your blog. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you'll be moving again. Seth is talking about only staying in this house for 5 years at most before selling it. All I can think of is trying to move with a 4-5 year old. Anyhoo, I had someone call me Ape the other day and to my suprise, given the length of time anyone has called me that, I came back with the same response I always had, "Only one person gets to call me Ape, and you're not her" I had actually forgotten that for some odd reason it never bothered me that you called me Ape. Even when Lynn tried it bothered me, ans we were inseperable.

Taylor Gardner said...

Yes, yes! Thinking of you and little one year old Cole. How crazy is that?! I'd love to see pictures... Love you guys.

Kendra said...

This post had me rolling. Did Ruthie really write a play about your mom??? You wrote a thesis? Cool! I'm completely jealous. I agree with you about the car thing, but where we live if you don't have a car, you die. (not even buses come our way). And if you live in the city you die (we live by Dallas, up there for the nations murder capital). Also, our house is on the market. I think I'm going to have to get on some antidepressants for the kind of stress that is going on at my house!!!

Min and Mary said...

Wow! this is my first time looking at a picture of Cole--he's a beaut! Min and I also think your short hair is right up our fashion alley. What a cute family you make! I want to hear more about the play--you'll have to share. Is April Johnson the April that M-C once dated? Keep posting, Emily! We want to learn more about your crazy life!
Mary

Kirsten said...

we're moving too. yuck.
i can't believe ruth wrote that play! maybe i can. i'd like to see the script!

Taylor Gardner said...

Hi Emily! Just checking in. I'd love to see/hear what you all are up to if you get the chance.

Taylor Gardner said...

Wow. This has been a REALLY LOOOONG MONTH! What are you up to these days? I miss hearing from you. Love you!